Topics | Search Log Out | Register | Edit Profile
Hide Clipart | Banned/Unbanned User Log | Moderator Login History | Thread Delete/Move Log | Last 30 mins | 1 | 2
Reading The Right Books - Kids

Chalanachithram.com DB » New TF Industry Related » Archive through October 10, 2019 » Reading The Right Books - Kids « Previous Next »

Mental_sachinodu
Megastar
Username: Mental_sachinodu

Post Number: 23500
Posted From: 50.241.19.41

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, October 09, 2019 - 11:40 am:       

Ishan:

do you have reading book recommendations for a 2 yr old?

lol.. both for my kids at two years... llama llama book series was their favorite.. i would read them like a rhyme..... it started without planning.. but after a couple of books.. they wanted me to read them like a rhyme.. and it got challenging

Mental_sachinodu
Megastar

Post Number: 23498

Posted on Wednesday, October 09, 2019 - 11:37 am:       

Ishan:

For example insects - what does he like about them, which ones he likes the most and why etc. Btw, do you have reading book recommendations for a 2 yr old?

He is not good at writing. he struggles to write, but he is getting better at it. my wife is trying to compile the stories he tells. I used to tell a story every night until he was 5.. now, he tells a story at his bed time.. and some of them are quite good. I am not sure if he read some of these stories some where or its something he is making up.

About bugs.. and insects... he talks about length.. when in mood. I try to make him right, and then he starts to treat like its a punishment :-)

two days back.. why is it called a fire fly.. i said, because it emits light while its flying.. he says.. yeah, but its not a fly.. it should be called fire beetle.. or light beetle. it is one of the beetle that flies .. i never knew fire fly is of beetle family. i thought beetles did not fly.

Gandhiguevara:

Enduku pillalni saava godathaaru

trust me.. i many times want him to stop reading. he rarely plays any sports.. he likes biking, swimming and gymnastics.. thats all he does. no group sports... he gets bored without books.

I am trying to help him play video games. which he is slowly picking up. when we started he did not play the games on phone.

Platypus
Hero
Username: Platypus

Post Number: 11232
Posted From: 194.69.103.29

Posted on Wednesday, October 09, 2019 - 11:17 am:       

Ishan:

For example insects - what does he like about them

Insect ane word kanipisthe Mahesh Babu laa parigisthaadu akkada nundi.
இதெல்லாம் தேவையா?

Platypus
Hero

Post Number: 11231

Posted on Wednesday, October 09, 2019 - 11:16 am:       

Gandhiguevara:

No, this is something the school is insisting. I am just trying to steer them towards books that have proper language.
இதெல்லாம் தேவையா?

Gandhiguevara
Legend
Username: Gandhiguevara

Post Number: 73899
Posted From: 99.85.78.113

Posted on Wednesday, October 09, 2019 - 11:15 am:       

maree saduvu ekkuvaipoyina parents vunte pillal life night mare ye...let them play in mud and woods

Gandhiguevara
Legend
Username: Gandhiguevara

Post Number: 73898
Posted From: 166.137.126.109

Posted on Wednesday, October 09, 2019 - 11:04 am:       

Enduku pillalni saava godathaaru

Ishan
Hero
Username: Ishan

Post Number: 10122
Posted From: 73.6.200.212

Posted on Wednesday, October 09, 2019 - 10:55 am:       

Mental_sachinodu:

at 6yrs old, let them read what they want.. and let their imagination do the rest.

Good post. Also, I think writing is even more important than reading. Writing brings out the inner creativity, improves your expression power thus improving your communication skills. But 6 yrs might be too young for that, but you can always give him a topic and ask him to write about it. For example insects - what does he like about them, which ones he likes the most and why etc. Btw, do you have reading book recommendations for a 2 yr old?

Twitter
Legend
Username: Twitter

Post Number: 67797
Posted From: 136.56.55.91

Posted on Wednesday, October 09, 2019 - 09:06 am:       

Platypus:

She has now moved on from Dork Diaries. Ippudedho "World's Worst Parents

ilanti books chadhavadam vallanemo pillalu desi parenting ni kindal chesthunnaru, ma ammai 7th grader valla friends madhyalo jarige comedy antha around their parents..

Mental_sachinodu
Megastar

Post Number: 23497

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, October 09, 2019 - 08:58 am:       

Kids will always have their own favorite books. let them read books that interest them.

every week we get about 20 books from the library.. my son picks about 15 of them, and i pick about 5 for him. he reads them through all.. but there are certain books .. he keeps re-reading.

he collects books he likes.. one of his favorites is bernstein bears books, which he started ready when he 4.... he still reads them, and wants to get every book he comes across.

he is very interested in bugs and sea animals... he spends lot of time reading on them... he spends a lot of time, examining them in the yard. unfortunately, he does not interact with many kids, and he is not too keen on learning what others are reading.

i feel there is alot of time for kids to read classics. there is a reason they are called classics.. they will give you something different to take, as you grow and re-read them

at 6yrs old, let them read what they want.. and let their imagination do the rest.

Platypus
Hero

Post Number: 11228

Posted on Wednesday, October 09, 2019 - 08:39 am:       

Anthamidhya:

My problem is he reads too many books a week (up to 4) and doesn�t do math by himself- so have to remind all the time

Ikkada (UK) lo focus is more on reading and writing. Maths and science peddha ledhu year 1 or 2 lo. Aa unde maths vaadu voodesthunnaadu. India lo G pagala navvuthaaru ee syllabus choosthe. :D
இதெல்லாம் தேவையா?

Platypus
Hero

Post Number: 11227

Posted on Wednesday, October 09, 2019 - 08:37 am:       

Twitter:

Ma pillalu dork dairies series chadhutharu vammov aa language choosthunte boothuluntai..inka nen evariki cheppukovali..

Aa sambaram fortunately ayipoyindi maa daughter ki. She has now moved on from Dork Diaries. Ippudedho "World's Worst Parents" type lo book chaduvuthoo undhi.

இதெல்லாம் தேவையா?

Twitter
Legend
Username: Twitter

Post Number: 67794
Posted From: 136.56.55.91

Posted on Wednesday, October 09, 2019 - 08:21 am:       

Ma pillalu dork dairies series chadhutharu vammov aa language choosthunte boothuluntai..inka nen evariki cheppukovali..

Anthamidhya
Comedian
Username: Anthamidhya

Post Number: 1019
Posted From: 70.119.103.67

Posted on Wednesday, October 09, 2019 - 08:10 am:       

While we want them to read challenging books the kids want to read books for fun. It’s not easy. I try to pick books that match his interests , mostly adventure n action. Only rule is for every 4 fiction books he needs to read a nonfiction. The way I came to piece is how I first watched only action movies in the beginning, followed by drama, documentaries and eventually Oscar movies only. It takes time to get to that level in picking books but as long as the kids develops a love for reading they will eventually get there. My problem is he reads too many books a week (up to 4) and doesn’t do math by himself- so have to remind all the time

Humpty_dumpty
Username: Humpty_dumpty

Post Number: 39403

Posted on Wednesday, October 09, 2019 - 08:08 am:       

Platypus:

My 10-year-old is heavily into David Walliams and J K Rowling of course. I am unable to get her to read Jules Verne, Mark Twain, Charles Dickens etc.

they are influenced by what their peers read
check with the teacher if he has a recommended list of books/authors for that grade...if not the particular teacher, check school resources

what you are suggesting were probably yours/mine first forays into english literature ...exposed to us by our elders/teachers/older siblings/cousins as must reads

their gen. would have missed a whole lot of other classical works...probably now read in universities for English majors

my 2 cents
don't sweat on it too much...there are good books in the last 25-30 years too for that age group

mass masala , they pick up series like warrior etc
even hardy boys has newer stories
grisham has a series for kids

you can try wrinkle in time, narnia etc
narnia lo violence ani malli ikkada violin disco seyyochu :D :D :D

for the 6 year old...as long as they read something every day ...keep doing it
they will pickup newer books eventually
my 7 year old's fav is wimpy kid...but she is catching up others...i had to take her to the library and show the empty rack (no wimpy kid books) a couple of times

Platypus
Hero

Post Number: 11226
Posted From: 167.220.197.151

Posted on Wednesday, October 09, 2019 - 08:00 am:       

Reddit:

Too early for a 6 year old.

Avi 10 year old kid kosam cheppaanu. I agree 6 year old ki too much avi.

Hardy boys and Enid Blyton - try chesthaa. Thanks for the suggestions.
இதெல்லாம் தேவையா?

Reddit
Hero
Username: Reddit

Post Number: 14229
Posted From: 183.83.146.188

Posted on Wednesday, October 09, 2019 - 07:56 am:       

Platypus:

Jules Verne, Mark Twain, Charles Dickens

Too early for a 6 year old.

Why don't you start of the kid with any of the Enid blyton series which would be more relateble. Hardy boys or Nancy drew series ain't bad either.
Don't compare your weaknesses to someone else's strengths.

Dreamcatcher
Side Hero
Username: Dreamcatcher

Post Number: 9711
Posted From: 107.77.241.31

Posted on Wednesday, October 09, 2019 - 07:41 am:       

Kids are influenced by their peers, they want to read the books their peera are talking about. I would say Dairy of a wimpy kid is probably appropriate level reading for a six year old. If you insist that they read what you are suggesting, try to encourage them to read one book of their choice and one recommended by school. Forcing them to read something is not going to help, as reading should be about enjoying what they are reading. It may make them not enjoy reading at all, so be mindful.

Platypus
Hero

Post Number: 11225

Posted on Wednesday, October 09, 2019 - 07:24 am:       

Ustaad_kalyan_fan:

6 year old kids ki books aaa

School insisting that they read something. He is reading only the wimpy kid series. Vaadi language mottham daani meedha aadhaarapaduthundemo ani tension.
இதெல்லாம் தேவையா?

Ustaad_kalyan_fan
Side Hero
Username: Ustaad_kalyan_fan

Post Number: 9828
Posted From: 163.244.182.19

Posted on Wednesday, October 09, 2019 - 07:20 am:       

6 year old kids ki books aaa
Manishiki picha undachu,balupu undachu,aavesam undachu,thikka undachu kani veeti valla munduku veltunnada venakki veltunnada anede point

Platypus
Hero

Post Number: 11224

Posted on Wednesday, October 09, 2019 - 07:13 am:       

How to make kids read the "good language" books? My 10-year-old is heavily into David Walliams and J K Rowling of course. I am unable to get her to read Jules Verne, Mark Twain, Charles Dickens etc. From a language point of view, David Walliams is the worst book to read. JKR is much better I agree but what after that?

My 6-year-old is refusing to read anything other than Diary of a Wimpy Kid series and Andrew Griffith Treehouse series. Again, Wimpy Kid has atrocious language. Treehouse doesn't even have proper sentences, forget about grammar.

The main complaint these kids have is that the classics are too "classic" and they are unable to relate to them. I hear them and understand where they are coming from. From your experience, can you please suggest from modern literature suitable for kids that has proper language?

The other day I picked up a collection of short stories written by Mark Twain from our local bookstore. Fascinating stuff but his Mississippi slang and the river-related idioms and usages is hard to read even for me. And not all are suitable for kids in that anthology.
இதெல்லாம் தேவையா?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image HASH(0x22c2228){Movie Clipart}
Show / hide regular icons selection options

Click on following links to open cliparts by Alphabetical Order

A   B   C   D   E   F   G   H   I   J   K   L   M  

N   O   P   Q   R   S   T   U   V   W   X   Y   Z  

Show / Hide Filmy icons selection options

Click on following links to open cliparts by Alphabetical Order

A   B   C   D   E   F   G   H   I   J   K   L   M  

N   O   P   Q   R   S   T   U   V   W   X   Y   Z  

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: